Dates are one of the most essential picks during the fasting month of Ramadan in a Muslim household and are a long-time celebrated food of the Middle Eastern culture. Breaking the fast with dates is a cultural norm in many Muslim households, however, recently many people have begun avoiding dates altogether. It is a general misconception that dates are rich in fat and calories, as a result, many people tend to avoid them. However, the truth is quite the contrary, as dates can aid weight loss!
Here’s How Dates Aid Weight loss:
- Dates are high in dietary fiber content. Fiber may help you feel fuller for longer as it adds bulk to your diet and delays the digestion process. So eating dates will help you load up on enough fiber.
- Dates contain high unsaturated fatty acid content, which helps in reducing inflammation. Inflammation has long been linked to obesity, insulin resistance, diabetes, et al. Unhealthy food consumption and a sedentary lifestyle can up the risk of increased inflammation, thereby, increasing the chances of weight gain.
- Dates are also a rich source of protein. Proteins are tough to digest, and the transition time in the large intestine is longer, which makes you feel fuller for longer.
- Dates can help satiate your sweet tooth cravings. They are naturally sweet; therefore, you can enjoy a few dates and toss away sugary foods to lose weight efficiently.
Dates, or khajur, have made their way to being called health foods in recent times. Because of their naturally sweet taste, they are considered nature’s candy. Not only are they delicious, but come packed with a huge range of health benefits. Here are some of the nutritional benefits of consuming dates:
Nutritional & Health Benefits of Consuming Dates:
- Refraining from digestion disorders is the most important factor during Ramadan. Hence, breaking fasts with dates helps prevent hunger and lets you avoid eating excessively.
- Dates secrete digestive juices that help prepare your stomach for food in extra quantity after long fasting.
- It doesn’t get difficult for the stomach to digest this high-fiber fruit and it easily gets digested after breaking the fast.
- This power pack fruit is full of energy including minerals and vitamins like Vitamin A, glucose, sucrose, iron, calcium, phosphorus, fructose, Vitamin B6, folic acid, potassium, magnesium, and sodium. It helps you restore energy and boosts up your mechanism. So it’s fair to say that the amount of energy you get after consuming dates is enough to stabilize your sugar level and statistics your appetite.
- Dates are easy on the stomach and can easily get digested. Since they are highly enriched with fiber, they help you get rid of constipation. During Ramadan, you may encounter digestive issues due to certain types of foods consumed, lack of chewing, or overstuffing yourself. Hence, dates can be quite beneficial for you from all aspects.
- The pH level of dates is alkaline so they help balance the presence of acids in the stomach after a full day of fasting.
- While fasting, you may encounter headaches, dizziness, and nausea because of the empty stomach and low sugar level in your body. So what’s the best alternative to fill the vacancy of sugar content in your blood? That’s none other than dates. Hence, it is quite important to break your fast and start your meal with dates.
Dates Must Be Consumed in Moderation:
Any food, if eaten in abundance, could be fattening. While dates may help you lose weight, they can also make you gain some pounds, considering they are high in calories and sugar. So, eating only a few of them can help shed kilos.
On the Lookout for Premium Saudi Quality dates?
If you are on the lookout for authentic, Saudi dates we recommend trying Al Madina Dates. Their premium and diverse quality of freshly imported dates from Saudia are bound to have you hooked, even after Ramzan!
View this post on Instagram
Dates are a gift from Allah enough to fulfill your hunger pangs and don’t help you gain weight. Fasting and starving for straight 13-14 hours can lower the sugar level in your body and that is the foremost reason one should break the fast with dates as it has high sugar content in it.
The fruit is recommended by our Prophet (PBUH), himself so there is no chance of doubt about the advantages that it holds. Treat yourself with dates this Ramadan and let your body thank you. Happy fasting!