We’ve heard of the saying ‘Beauty is pain’ but this is a tad bit extreme.
According to a study conducted at Aston University in America, life-threatening bacteria has been found in popular make-up products, including Mascaras, Lip glosses and, the ever so popular hot pink sponge, the Beauty Blender.
We don’t think a study was necessarily required to figure out beauty blenders are a breeding ground for bacteria. The biggest give away is the fact that they have to be used damp, and it’s common knowledge bacteria and fungus thrive in MOIST environments. Out of all the products studied, beauty blenders were found to have the highest levels of potentially harmful bacteria. The study also showed 93 percent of users of the beauty blender don’t ever wash it. And 64 percent drop it on their floors at some point during use.
“Make-up products used everyday by millions of people in the UK are contaminated with potentially deadly bugs, such as E.coli and Staphylococci, because most are not being cleaned and are used far beyond their expiry dates,” said study lead author Amreen Bashir from Aston University in the US.
Though most types of E. coli are harmless, some can cause bloody diarrhea, even kidney failure and and death.
The study that has been published in the Journal of Applied Microbiology opines that bacteria that can cause illnesses ranging from skin infections to blood poisoning if used near eyes, mouth or cuts or grazes were found in nine out of ten of the products. This risk is amplified in immunocompromised people who are more likely to contract infections from opportunistic bacteria.
Sooo, we strongly suggest that you finally get around to washing your beauty blender if you haven’t been, as well as your make up brushes, because they could, literally, kill you. Or atleast give you bloody stool. Not a good look guys.
Here’s a quick video on how to wash your favourite sponge: