With the number of confirmed cases reaching 16, the question arises on the how to get tested for the virus. But more importantly, the question remains “If the test costs Rs.7,900, how can the average Pakistani even afford it?“.
We’re here to help you, or anyone who cannot afford it. Please help spread this information so that more and more people can get tested for free, without fearing the unbelievably high cost of the test itself.
What is the Process if you want to get tested for free?
- If you suspect that you or someone you know is showing symptoms of Coronavirus, visit a government designated hospital, be it public or private. Here’s a list of the hospitals that are collecting samples for the test, and sending them forward for the results to be processed. They are not conducting the test themselves:
- Services Hospital – Lahore
- Nishtar Hospital – Multan
- Benazir Hospital – Rawalpindi
- Chandka Medical College Hospital – Larkana
- Ghulam Muhammad Mahar Medical College – Sukkur
- Peoples Medical University Hospital – Nawabshah
- Civil Hospital – Karachi
- Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre – Karachi
- Lyari General Hospital – Karachi
- Indus Hospital – Karachi
- Aga Khan Hospital – Karachi
- Dow University of Health Sciences, Ojha – Karachi
- District Health Offices (DHOs) all over the province
- In Gilgit-Baltistan, citizens can contact district health authorities who will come to their homes to collect samples
- In Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Police Services Hospital has been made the main centre for dealing with coronavirus cases
What Will Happen Once You Get to the Hospital?
- A doctor will check to see if you are manifesting the symptoms associated with Coronavirus to see if you need to be tested in the first place.
- An extensive travel history will be demanded. So don’t be alarmed if they ask you if you’ve traveled this year or been in close contact with anyone who has been sick recently (showing symptoms related to Coronavirus).
- If the doctor assesses that you do not have the symptoms that are related to Coronavirus, they’ll suggest that you don’t need the test. That’s good news and means that you are free to go home.
- If you do show symptoms of the virus, your saliva is taken using a swab and sent to one of the designated facilities that have coronavirus testing equipment. This testing will be done free of cost.
Please help spread this information so that all those that cannot afford the test through labs that are charging an exorbitant fee, can get it tested for free.